Monday, January 23, 2012

Georgia on My Mind


"I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down."


The first paper I ever wrote was about Georgia O'Keeffe. I was drown to her flat landscapes, overlaid in masculine skulls contrasted with feminine flowers. I always assumed that her talent just transcends human ability, so I was somewhat pleased to discover most of her paintings were done in complimentary colors. It's reassuring she has to rely on the fundamentals like the rest of us. The blue shade in the mountains works so well with the orange earth tucked into it.

I went to Georgia's home in New Mexico last summer and saw this mesa she frequently painted. She wrote in a letter at one point that she thought if she painted it enough, God would give it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment